Summary of Accountabilities
Manages overall operation of the Service Department to maintain a profitable operation.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for planning, directing and coordinating the activities of the Service Department to minimize delays and increase production and efficiencies.
- Be familiar and make available all the necessary overhaul manuals, service bulletins, airworthiness directives and any other technical data.
- Responsible for ascertaining that the appropriate personnel properly execute all necessary work records.
- Responsible for the preservation and proper handling of all units and parts during process through the shop.
- Provide excellent customer service to potential and existing customers, putting the customer- needs first and ensuring that their needs are met.
- Effectively collect and present quotes, miscellaneous pricing and final billing information to customers.
- Continually check status of customer aircraft and advise customers of upcoming work that may be needed.
- Ensure that all written communications needed to effectively communicate with customers is sent.
- Coordinate completion dates between various steps of any major installation or modifications.
- Provide leadership to the Service Department.
- Instill a desire to provide superior customer service to internal and external customers.
- Provide assistance to team members by seeking opportunities and defining problems.
- Create an environment that promotes knowledge, sharing, and teamwork.
- Eliminate constraints and obstacles to allow each team member to reach their potential.
- Ensure performance development is practiced within the Service Department.
- Define roles, responsibilities and clearly communicate expectations to each member of the team.
- Ensure goals and objectives are being set and that progress is made within the established time periods.
- Provide continual performance reviews with each team member and provide written feedback on areas for development and personal improvement.
- Assist each member in achieving his or her desired career goals through personal development and training.
- Facilitate and direct the development of direct reports in a way that encourages growth and increasing contributions to Yingling’s profitability.
- Utilize “coaching skills” to identify and develop team members for improved contributions.
- Work to develop analytical thinking into all decisions.
- Members should understand the fundamental drivers of the business.
- Other duties as assigned.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work of the job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
Education and Experience
- High school graduate or equivalent; prefer 4-year degree
- A&P License is required
- 10+ years of project management experience in aviation is preferred
- 10+ years of direct supervisory skills; may supervise 20-40 mechanics
- Ability to understand P&L Statements for the department
- Must possess and demonstrate strong written and verbal communication skills with internal and external customers, to include email correspondence and explaining complex technical issues over the phone.
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook. Microsoft project
- Able to work required schedule without deviation
- Must possess and maintain a current and valid driver’s license
- Meet the requirements of Airport Authority to be receive a badge and have no ramp restrictions
Ability to read and comprehend detailed instructions, correspondence, and memos. Ability to write clear, concise correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one, small group, and large group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization. Good grammar and spelling skills.
Must be able to stand, stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl. Occasional periods of walking, sitting, rotation, bending, pushing, pulling, and reaching.
Lifting up to 25 lbs
- Frequent exposure to general shop conditions, engine noise.
- Frequent exposure to aircraft exhaust, moving mechanical parts, lubricants, metals, and solvents.
- Frequent exposure to seasonal weather.
- Office environment exposure.
Additional Requirements or Skills
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent for calculations of profit/loss. Ability to understand departmental financial statements. Ability learn and understand P&L’s.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Ability to maintain a specified budget for assigned department.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
A & P License Required
Inspection Authorization License Preferred
Strong computer skills in work in MS Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint