Summary of Accountabilities
Responsible for all aspects of overall aircraft base painting including stripping, priming, painting, and logos.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepares aircraft surfaces for removing paint by cleaning, masking applying stripper, removing stripper
- Applies aerodynamic filler and masks the aircraft using tapes and paper products (to protect windows, seals, struts, cables, etc.) in preparation for the paint process
- Mixes primers and paints, per the manufacturers’ maintenance manual specifications
- Applies primer and paint to the aircraft exterior surfaces. (Paints include: urethanes, acrylic urethanes, enamels, and epoxy primers)
- Interprets specifications, color renderings, and instructions and plans sequences, and times the paint operation. This includes mixing ratios, surface preparation, papering and masking, drying time, number of coats, etc.)
- Layouts of stripes and logo’s
- Maintains painting supplies and equipment, including spray guns, air hoses, pumps, paper, and tape
- Documents all work accomplished (a.k.a. sign-off) in a clear, concise and accurate manner
- Responsible for knowing, understanding, following, promoting and continuously improving company policies and procedures
- Observes all safety, environmental and general housekeeping rules and policies
- Provide backup to line personnel when they are moving aircraft in and out of the hangers
- Other activities and projects as approved by the VP of Operations
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work of the job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
Education and Experience
High school diploma or equivalent
Minimum of 3 years’ experience as aircraft painter preferred
Knowledge of all types of paints and thinners
Qualified to prepare aircraft exteriors, and panels for proper application of paint
Minimize rework through proficiency in paint preparation and application
Must meet the requirements of Airport Authority to be receive a badge and have no ramp restrictions
Cessna and King Air experience would be a plus
Must be able to read and speak English. Must be able to communicate effectively with other personnel.
Must be able to stand, stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl. Occasional periods of walking, sitting, rotation, bending, pushing, pulling, and reaching.
Occasionally lifting up to 50 lbs, and frequently lifting up to 10 lbs.
Frequent exposure to general shop conditions, engine noise.
Frequent exposure to aircraft exhaust, moving mechanical parts, lubricants, metals, and solvents.
Frequent exposure to seasonal weather.
Additional Requirements or Skills
Basic math skills.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Assist department managers in maintaining a specified budget.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
A & P License is a plus
Must possess and maintain a current and valid driver’s license
Basic computer aptitude preferred.